Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Lessons beyond the Boston Marathon...Mr. Rogers' Words of Wisdom

I have been mesmerized by the stories about the Boston Marathon bombing. And as a result, who is being quoted on how to help children, Mister Fred Rogers. I love Mister Rogers!! I remember when my daughter was young and watching the operas, the plays, the stories, with her. In fact, in 2003, I bought my principals his book, The World According to Mister Rogers, Important Things to Remember. The book had various quotes and stories by Mister Rogers that I think are inspiring for educational leaders to think about as they lead their teachers and students.

"Some days, doing the 'best we can' may still fall short of what we would like to be able to do, but life isn't perfect--on any front-- and doing what we can with what we have is the most we should expect of ourselves or anyone else."

"I'm proud of you for the times you came in second, third, or fourth, but what you did was the best you had ever done."

A few years later, I bought his second book for my adult children, Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers, Things to Remember Along the Way. Quotes that make us think!!

"It's really easy to fall into the trap of believing that what we DO is more important that what we ARE. Of course, it's the opposite that's true: What we ARE ultimately determines what we DO!"



What great advice from a wise man! What a great way to comfort our children....and ourselves. I think the news has done a great job of highlighting the heroes and the helpers, focusing on those attending to the hurt, carrying people away from dangers, people hugging another person in distress...helping others!

As educators we will be faced with questions and comments from the elementary, middle and high school students about this event. How do we begin to explain this event.....share what Mister Rogers has to say about scary events.

Thanks Mister Rogers for reminding us "You Are Special."

No comments:

Post a Comment