Friday, June 7, 2013

End of the Year Reflections.... A MUST!!!

It is the end of the year!! The students are gone for the summer, you have cleaned your room, had your end of the year celebrations and now what?

End of the year reflection on your teaching is the NOW WHAT! Reflecting on what worked, what didn’t work, strategies, approaches, relationships, are some areas that you can start with. Effective teachers reflect to provide insight into their practices and then make changes if necessary.

You could start a teaching journal that outlines these reflections at the end of the year and then add your goals at the beginning of the next year! This will provide a “story” of your journey.

Some guiding questions might be:
What worked well?
What bombed?
What did I learn?
Did I meet my goals?
What was my Aha moment?
What would I do differently?
What did my data show and what did I do differently as a result of looking at it?
How did I grow as a teacher?
How did I get along with my teammates?
How did I communicate with parents?
What did I struggle with?

Posing these questions to other colleagues about each other can help with the reflective process. You might start next year by sharing your reflections, or better yet, get together over the summer and share your reflections. That will allow you to start the school year after you have thought about your discussions.

Check out this teachers reflection and begin yours today!!
http://teamteachers.tumblr.com/post/8920483020/end-of-year-reflection

“It is when you lose sight of yourself, that you lose your way. To keep your truth in sight you must keep yourself in sight and the world to you should be a mirror to reflect to you your image; the world should be a mirror that you reflect upon.” C. JoyBell C.

No comments:

Post a Comment